By John W. Lillpop
Notwithstanding the fact that contemporary celebrations of Memorial Day have more to do with three-day weekends,back yard barbecues, reckless episodes of alcohol abuse, and other frivolities, the original purpose was to set aside a spiritual holiday to remember and honor the brave American men and women whom sacrificed their very lives in the service of this blessed nation.
Indeed, in the beginning, it was conceived as a day to memorialize those dead American men and women whom made the ultimate sacrifice to defend and preserve the liberties and precious freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution and Bill of Rights.
No one can deny that horse shoes, watermelon, and fried chicken add spice to the celebratory spirit of Memorial Day.
However, in much the same manner as Christmas is not really about glittery trees, blinking lights, and mistletoe, so it is that the genesis of Memorial Day is really about things spiritual, rather than slothful excuses to overeat, over drink, and otherwise engage in intemperate behavior,
Memorial Day History See Link(*)
Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his , and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.
Traditional observance of Memorial day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.
Did Our Brothers and Sisters Die in Vain?
One cannot help but wonder whether the price paid by American men and women in years past is justified given the fact that America is currently run by politicians who simply do not respect traditional American values, traditions, history or law.
Some questions to ponder:
1. Our government is run by an administration that ignores Constitutionally-protected freedom of religion by demanding that services which violate the religious beliefs of certain groups be provided by those groups, contrary to Amendment 1 of the US Constitution.
How many American lives were sacrificed so that our renegade government could ignore basic religious freedoms to 65 million Americans?
2. Our government is run by people who generally oppose the 2nd Amendment, and whom created and implemented a criminal program known as “Fast and Furious,” which caused dangerous weapons to be shipped from the US to drug terrorists in Mexico. Those weapons were used against innocent Americans and Mexicans, including the death of a US Border Patrol agent.
How many brave Americans fought and died so that our government could send weapons to foreign terrorists whom would use said weapons to kill an American law enforcement official jut to discredit the 2nd Amendment?
3. In 2011, our President ordered a military attack on the foreign nation of Libya, and did so without Congressional approval, and in violation of the War Powers Act.
How many of those who fought and died for America did so knowing that their sacrifices would empower a defiant president to willfully ignore the provisions of the Constitution and the War Powers Act, thereby circumventing a vital separation of powers concept so vital to our Democracy?
4. The President of the United States, in concert with liberal allies in Congress, passed a law which requires Americans to purchase health insurance regardless of their personal choices. The law, opposed by a majority of Americans, also provides for punitive action by the IRS against those Americans who refuse to comply.
How many American lives were sacrificed so that our renegade government could force unwilling Americans to buy a product-service against their will and threaten to use a federal agency against Americans who do not comply?
5. The President of the United States is an unabashed socialist and outspoken critic of free enterprise and the profit motive, both of which favored by an overwhelming majority of Americans.
This president seeks to divide Americans on the basis of class and wealth, and further proposes to use government power to seize assets from the alleged “rich” and “redistribute” wealth to people whose political views are more closely aligned with his own.
How many American lives were sacrificed so that our renegade president could wage class war fare and use government to steal wealth rightfully the property of some in order to enrich others?
Given the cynical, anti-American policies of the Obama Administration, Americans whom have sacrificed their all for America are, regrettably, being mocked this Memorial Day.
The good news is that our Constitution, battered and abused as it is, is still viable.
We the people must remember the American war dead on November 6 and vote to remove the current administration from power.
Do it in memory of the brave men and women who died for our freedoms and liberty!